Diwali is just a few days away! The festive spirit is in the air! There’s a lot of colour, fun and frolic!
May the festival of light, light up your life with all that you have wished for!
We wish each one of you a very happy, prosperous and safe Diwali!
We thought of taking this opportunity to also share a few tips with you, as putting on a precautionary mask is always better!
Store your fireworks safely:
In a closed box, somewhere cool and dry, out of reach of children and animals and away from all sources of heat, until the time they're needed. Locked away is best. Don't keep the box under the stairs or in a passageway.
Pets hate bangs and flashes:
Pets get very frightened on fireworks night, so keep all your pets indoor and close all the curtains to make things calmer. Remember it's not just your own fireworks that cause distress, so you may have to have your pets indoors on several nights when other displays are taking place.
Think ahead and be prepared:
Before you start, make sure you'll be giving yourself enough room in a safe place to get to and from your box of fireworks while the display is going on. Have a full bucket of water handy for any emergency, and for putting used sparklers into. If you have the chance to get together with some other families, try to go to the home with the biggest open space and safest surroundings.
Never try to re-ignite the fireworks that don't light in the first instance. Never give ANY firework item to small children. Never throw fireworks at another person. Never carry fireworks in your pocket. Never shoot fireworks from metal or glass containers. Never experiment, modify, or attempt to make your own fireworks.
Watch what you wear:
Loose clothing can very easily catch fire, and should not be worn near any fire or fireworks. Long dangly scarves can be risky too. If anyone's clothing does catch fire, follow the rule: Stop – Don't run. Drop to the ground. Roll to put out the flames.
One at a time please:
You (or another adult that you choose) must be the only person letting off fireworks. Don't allow anyone else – especially children – to do so while your display is going on. Let the fireworks off one at a time (not lots at once) and don't rush. Light the tip of each firework at arm's length, using fireworks lighter or fuse wick. Stand well back immediately. If one doesn't go off, don't go back to it – it could still be live, and could go off unexpectedly on your face. Right at the end of your fireworks night, douse the 'duds' with lots of water, keep it soaking in a bucket of water. Never throw left over fireworks onto a bonfire.
Different fireworks mean different hazards:
Read the instructions on each one carefully (by flashlight, never an open flame) and follow them properly. Rockets, for instance, should be launched from a rocket launcher, not from a bottle. Sparklers need careful handling – light them one at a time at arm's length; don't give one to any child under 5 years of age; make sure that anyone holding a sparkler wears gloves; and put each spent one into a bucket of water as soon as it's gone out.
Putting fireworks in your pocket is stupid and dangerous. Throwing fireworks at people is stupid and dangerous and illegal; it's a criminal offense to do so.
Fireworks and booze don't mix:
Drinking alcohol presents an added danger when there are fireworks and bonfires around. So don't drink during your fireworks display.
Watch that person:
Keep children well away from fireworks, and never let a child handle or light one. Even sparklers can be dangerous if unsupervised! Do not give sparklers to a child under five. Make sure that children are aware of the dangers.
Don't light flying fireworks if there is a heavy wind:
Never take unnecessary risks while lighting fireworks, just to show off. Pool your pocket money and have a professional perform pyrotechnics for the benefit of many
Do s & Don't s While Bursting Crackers
Thus, awareness campaigns are launched so that fatalities and injuries caused by fireworks could be brought down. All mishaps due to fireworks occur as a result of carelessness, negligence and ignorance. Simple precautions can help avoid these mishaps.
India sees the maximum number of burn accidents during Diwali. Here is a ready reckoner just in case there is an accident near you. Your quick action can save lives and alleviate suffering for people around you. Remember to keep a bucket of water close by when lighting crackers.
Burns destroy skin, which controls the amount of heat our bodies retain or release, holds in fluids, and protects us from infection. While minor burns on fingers and hands are usually not dangerous, burns injuring even relatively small areas of skin can develop serious complications. If you think a burn of any type is significant, do not hesitate to call an ambulance immediately.
Here are the first aid steps for treating a burn:
· STAY SAFE! Do not let the rescuer get burned trying to save the victim.
· Cool the burned area with cool running water for several minutes. DO NOT overcool the casualty; this may dangerously lower the body temperature.
· DO NOT remove anything sticking to the burn; this may cause further damage and cause infection.
· DO NOT touch or interfere with the injured area. DO NOT burst blisters.
· DO NOT apply lotions, ointment, or fat to the injury.
· Gently remove any rings, watches, belts, shoes, or smouldering clothing from the injured area, before it starts to swell. Carefully remove burned clothing unless it is sticking to the burn.
· Cover the injury with a sterile burns sheet or other suitable non-fluffy material, to protect from infection. A clean plastic bag or kitchen film may be used. Burns to the face should be cooled with water, not covered.
· Ensure that the emergency service is on its way. While waiting, treat the casualty for shock. Monitor and record breathing and pulse, and resuscitate, if necessary.
Please do follow the safety tips and enjoy the festive season!
Wishing you all an Enlightening, Happy, Prosperous, Memorable and Safe Diwali!